- Guidelines for Continuing Education
- Pre-Approved Provider List (Updated April 2021)
- Approved CE Activities
- Application for CE Approval
- CE Activity Log (2020-2021)
- Instructions for Completing CE Approval Form
- Rules of CE 21 NCAC 21.0400
- Proof of Attendance for Providers
- Memo Regarding COVID-19 and CE
**CONTINUING EDUCATION NOTICE**
The NC Board for Licensing of Geologists has determined that the twelve hour continuing education requirement as a condition of renewal will be required for the 2021-2022 license year.
The license renewal deadline is June 30, 2021. Online renewal will be available in mid-May.
The rules of the Board, specifically 21 NCAC 21 .0403, state that each person holding an active NC geology license shall complete 12 hours of continuing professional education relating to geology as a condition for licensure renewal.
The Board waived the CE requirement for the 2020-2021 license renewal as a result of Covid-19. The decision to move forward with the requirement for the upcoming license renewal was made based on many factors, one of which is the number of virtual continuing education offerings available due to the effect that the virus has had on face-to-face activities, and the high percentage of licensees who already meet the requirement to renew with carryover PDH alone. You can check your carryover PDH here.
Contact the Board office with questions. 919-850-9669
- - - - - - -
As of June 1, 2017, the NC Board for Licensing of Geologists has a continuing education (CE) requirement. Licensees must obtain 12 Professional Development Hours (PDHs) of geologic education each license year in order to renew their license*. Licensees may earn up to 12 additional hours to be carried over into the next license year. Licensees should report their completed CE to the Board using the CE Reporting Form (in the Download Center) prior to completing their individual license renewal (due June 30).
*New licensees by way of examination are exempt from the CE requirement for their first license renewal. New licensees by comity are required to report 12 PDHs with their first renewal.
CE Activities must either be approved individually by this Board or be sponsored by one of the entities on the List of Pre-Approved Providers.
- Activities completed with a Pre-Approved Provider must be geological in nature. If you attend an event sponsored by one of these entities that is geological in nature, you do not need to make application for approval. However, you are encouraged to apply for CE credit if you are unsure if an activity is sufficiently geology-focused. A List of Pre-Approved CE Providers is available in the Download Center.
- If you complete a CE Activity with an organization that is not a Pre-Approved Provider, you may check the list of Approved CE Activities to see if it has already been approved, or complete a Continuing Education Approval Form to be reviewed by the CE Committee and the Board. The list of Approved CE Activities is updated as new activities are approved.
- You should retain some type of documentation of attendance/completion for all CE activities, in case you are included in the random audit of CE.
If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to contact the Board office.